Elder Michael in Niuatoputapu

Elder Michael in Niuatoputapu
The Other Side of Heaven

Thursday, January 13, 2011

'Ofa 'atu

Dear Mom and all,
Sorry that i havent written yet my Pday is on thursday and i didnt have a p day last week, this is a reaally bad keyboard so excuse my errors they only give me 30 mins to email so can you just dearelder dads email, i couldnt read it all.
So this first week has been amazing ride full of ups and downs. my first day i felt the spirt right as i walked into the MTC doors. that was cool. I was really overwealmed that first day then in my bag of missionary stuff that they give you here Arrio had included a note about how it is overwealming but it will get better, that was a great source of comfort and since then it has been good. those first 3 days felt like 3 weeks. but since sunday time has flown thanks for all the letters from every one. i prefer letters to email cuz there is no time to read everything.
Elder Holland came on tuesday and that waz really AWESOME. man you felt the spirt so strong when he came into the room. that night had dinner i had some sourkraut and my stomach was really upset, so i didnt think i was going to make it through the whole fireside, but i wasnot going to miss seeing an apostle of the lord speak live. He bore a powerful testamony about how we need to to be the best missionaries the Church has ever seen. no pressure right? It was an amazing experience. Elder Holland told the story of Peter when the Savior came to see the Apostles after He had been ressurected, and how the Savior asked Peter three times if Peter loved Him. Peter said yes three times but it wasn't until the third time that he really understood what the Lord meant. Then the Lord said to Peter, If you love me, feed my sheep. That is what i am going to do in Tonga i will be teaching the people there the restored Gospel of Jesus Chirst.
I love my District there are twelve of us we are all fun loving guys there are only 3 tongans the rest are palangis. MY companion is Elder Jacob Aaron Rose, thats not a typo, we haver the same first and middle name, really funny. he is from Layton Utah We sing and pray in tongan and are always quoting The Other Side of Heaven.
I love Gym time, it is like our escape to reality. We all play basketball, I am too agressive on defence sometimes. i play like im playing lacrosse. i have gotten a few people upset at me b/c im too agressive, but there all like 3 ft taller then me so i have to be aggressiv. I shut this kid down the other day who was like 6'4'' he was one of those really cocky kids who things his is Gods gift to humanity. i humbled him a little. Off the Basketball court im trying to be more Chris-like haha
Churh was really good My branch President is President Connors, a really awesome man full of the Spirit.
I love the gospel im almost out of time so im gonna rush,
love you all hope everything is good and that Gpa is okay tell everyone i love them and thanks for the letters
i got the dearelder package and a birthday card from the sterlings okay gotto go
'Ofa 'atu
Elder Maikolo
PS dear elder me hillarys letter

1 comment:

  1. Elder Maikolo: I can just picture you Elder Michael trying to be more Christlike after the bashing that went on in the bb game. As Elder Marvin J. Ashton wrote @ how King David pled for mercy (after the bb game:) in the 57th Psalm: My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword." MJA went on to say that bashing is to strike with a heavy, crushing blow". And then reminds us that our Savior"the only perfect person to ever walk the earth, taught us through quiet example to say nothing or to be silent in stressful times in our lives rather than to spend time and energy bashing for whatever pupose. So what is the antidote for this bashing that hurts feelings, demeans others, destroys relationships, and harms self esteem? Bashing should be replaced with charity. Moroni described it this way:
    "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing,for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all...Charity is the pure love of Christ and it endureth forever." (Moro. 7:46-47)(MJA,The Tongue can be a sharp sword", Ensign May 1992)

    Uncle ER and I love you. May you become as Christ like as your heart desires while you serve the wonderful people of Tonga.
    Love Aunt Bunny

    ReplyDelete